So I was able to go to church by myself without any kids/distractions. I was actually able to listen and think about all the lessons it was.....strange. I actually was able to focus better when I pulled out a nail file because it gave me a distraction I guess. lol
Any ways in Sunday School at Church we talked about "Beware Lest Thou Forget " Which Basically talked about doing things that can remind us to 'Remember the Lord' when times are good and bad. So it inspired me to do a FHE lesson on this.
I had some extra plywood lying around in my garage so I had my husband cut it up into little 5x7 squares then took the kids to the craft store and let them pick an 86 Cent bottle of their favorite color of paint and some 39cent brushes. We painted them then we walked around our house pointing out the things we have in our house that remind us of Jesus Christ, and telling why and how they make us feel. We have pictures on the walls in our bedroom and the living room, and scriptures and books on the shelves but nothing really in the kids' bedrooms. Then we printed pictures off the Internet of things the kids wanted to be able to be reminded of Jesus. We glued them to the painted wood and then modge podged them and let them dry. Now my kids have a reminder of Jesus in their rooms too.
and I helped Haven choose a picture of Jesus with a little girl and the saying "The greatest gift I could give you... would be for you to see yourself as I see you."
and Tim did one with a picture of our family to take to work.
So fun! I love these kind of Family Home Evening lessons. They don't happen often though so don't think I am bragging, I am sharing my idea to help others because it is hard, for me atleast, to think of things that are relevant and will hopefully leave a lasting impression on your kids. (usually we just end up reading a story from "the friend" church magazine and going for Ice cream. so this was special)



2 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! Cher, this is the best idea ever!! And those boards are so cute! I love all the grain and stuff that is showing after they are painted! I am totally stealing this idea for next monday! You are seriously so much more amazing than you give yourself credit for!
That is a really cute idea and fun too. I need to better about doing family home evening. Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment