Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Critique of Twilight the movie

You may not agree with my opinion, but that is OK, we all have our own.

Well, I was to say the least, excited to see the movie. But after thinking about it for a while, I think all the fans of the twilight series were trying to use the movie as a "continuation", because who really wanted the 4Th book to be it??? Not me. So we were excited for Edward and Bella to live on.
Was I expecting the movie to be as good as the book, no of course not. They rarely ever are. But Stephanie Meyer claimed that she followed very closely to the book, so my hopes were up.
But I really feel the book and movie had a huge disconnect. The movie missed so many things that I loved from the book, that I really saw no reason why they were cut out. and no reason why some weird things were added to the movie, and that is what bothered me the most. I was completely thrown off by all the differences from the book to the movie, so it started confusing me and making me dizzy thinking about what things should have been.
I think they could have added another half hour or hour to the movie to make it more complete and more like the book.
Another huge problem I had with the movie was that some of the neatest / romantic/ special parts of the book were made into cheesy parts in the movie. Or they changed the "feel" in the movie. for example : in the book when Edward decides to show Bella his "glowing skin" , it is a special occasion, they go to a special place and have an intimate conversation and really connect. In the movie he is basically screaming at her "look at me!!! this is why I can't go out in sunlight!!!"
Another part that really bothered me was when he is trying to suck the venom out of her near the end. in the book he has enough self control that he can stop as soon as he tastes the morphine in her blood. In the movie I hate how his dad has to yell at him to stop and he almost kills her, that is ridiculous!!
I do agree that I probably over analyzed the movie, but I was really disappointed and let down.
I will watch it again when it comes out on DVD and just enjoy it for what it is rather than what it is NOT.
Tim gave me hope... as we were leaving the theatre he said " maybe this movie will make SO much money that they will have a bigger budget for the next one to make it better and more like the book ."
On Stephanie Meyer .com you can see that they have officially announced that they will be making the second movie. I am still a fan and still will see every movie or book connected with the series. But I am bummed that I was soo let down by the movie.

1 comments:

Hayley said...

I totally agree with everything you just said. I really hope they have a bigger budget next time, and that they don't make Edward so grouchy.